Grain Free Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies


I had to post these cookies TODAY. I took them to the 8:00 AM CrossFit class yesterday for by business partner's birthday and now I'm getting harassed for the recipe because it's so freakin' good. This is probably the best Paleo chocolate chip cookie you'll ever eat. When I discovered how fantastic these are, I made about five batches in an eight day period. It just now occurred to me why my weight crept up 3 pounds last week. Oops.


On a different subject, I'm taking a trapeze class this Friday! I can't wait! My business partner and I are celebrating the one-year anniversary of our LLP, Salmon Bay Counseling, this month and we wanted to celebrate by doing something super fun. I'm a little nervous about landing on my head but whatever.

It's been quite a year for Tara and I. Owning your own business is a total pain in the ass, but completely 100% worth it. There were a lot of ups and downs, lots of laughter and a lot of tears. There was a lot of money spent and very little earned. We realized that we've come a long way since the early days of our partnership. I can now stay within the limits of my text messaging plan and I don't cry nearly as much as I used to. We figured out how to do taxes which by itself deserves a big gold star. We've made a lot of connections in the community. And our practice is very nearly full! It's very exciting. I can't wait to get up on that trapeze. Ringling Brothers here I come.


Before I share the recipe, here are a few things you need to know about it. I started with The Urban Poser's chocolate chip cookie recipe and adjusted the ingredients slightly but the proportions are all the same. First, I doubled it. If you're going to make cookies this good you need to make a bigger batch. To this recipe I added bacon, used butter as the fat, and prefer maple sugar in place of honey. You can use any fat or sweetener you wish, but I think this combination is awesomely awesome. The maple sugar is so delicious with smokey bacon. And lastly, I figured out that you can make these in one bowl!

Now here's a trick if you really want to make these uh-maze-ing. If you have smoked salt, sprinkle it on top of the cookies before baking. I'm not kidding. If you don't have smoked salt, use your whatever salt you have. A quality Maldon sea salt is recommended. These cookies are mega-enhanced by this trick. The salt brings out the chocolate and tempers the sweetness of the cookie. It helps give the cookie that caramel/butterscotch nuance that makes a good chocolate chip cookie great.

Grain Free Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

Ingredients

4 strips bacon
2/3 cup room temperature butter or melted coconut oil
1/2 cup maple sugar (Trader Joe's has it) or maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of full fat coconut milk
4 cups fine almond flour (Honeyville is best)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkling later
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet, bittersweet, or dark)

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

First, cook four strips of bacon in a skillet and let them drain on a paper towel. Once cooled, cut or tear the bacon into 1/4" pieces. Leave out really fatty pieces. They are too chewy.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and maple sugar together with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Add the vanilla and coconut milk and combine.

To the wet ingredients add the almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Toss them together slightly and then mix them into the wet ingredients by hand. You might need to literally use your hands to get the dough to come together. Add the chocolate chips and bacon and carefully combine without over-mixing.

Use a mini ice cream scoop or tablespoon to measure out cookies. Using your hands, roll each scoop in a ball and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Use your hands or the bottom of a glass to smoosh the cookies down a tiny bit. Be sure to leave them pretty thick.

Sprinkle the cookies with the smoked salt or sea salt (you don't need much). In the oven, place a cookie sheet on a shelf under your cookies. This will keep the bottoms from overcooking.

Bake for 11-13 minutes. Keep an eye on them and take them out right when you start to see some browning around the bottom edge. Don't wait for them to brown up the sides or on top. They will not be as good if you overcook them.

As the Urban Poser says, make sure you eat about 4 cookies before letting anyone know you made them. As soon as people learn that you've made these cookies they will be gone in a flash.

After I've stuffed my belly with them straight from the oven and still warm, I store the leftovers in the freezer. Cold cookies are so good, and because of the almond flour these cookies don't get rock hard like a traditional wheat flour cookie would. Try it, you'll see.

If you love these cookies, please comment!